Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Thank you, Heather Telford, Ottawa, Canada

OK, now that my studio (crap room) is all cleaned up, I've been hesitant to start a new project.  I REALLY don't want to mess it up so I was just browsing the blogs I've added to my reading list and ran across this blog entry: OLW 106 Sponging.  I have always admired artists that could mask, sponge and stamp single layer cards that make me go "wow".  I've tried it throughout the years with little success (maybe it's a talent thing) and always had that technique on my 'I've got to learn that' list.  When I saw Heather's card, it renewed my interest.  As it happens, I have those two colors of Memento Ink so I pulled them out.  And, as I was cutting post-its I had an epiphany.  One of those aha moments.  So, here's what I did:  I pulled out my Cameo and opened MTC.  I added a rectangle from the "Import Basic Shapes" button and sized it to 4.25" x 5.5".  I then copied it so I had two rectangles.  On the first one I added a square smack dab in the center, on the other I added a heart.  I did a 'join' on both rectangles and this is what it looked like:

Then came the inspiration part - I cut these out of  a light weight transparency material.

I cut a piece of Georgia Pacific cardstock to create a 4.25" x 5.5" card and scored it but did not fold it.  I placed the mask with the heart on top of the front of my card and used a piece of Scotch Removable tape to tape it to the card.  I pulled out my large daubers and my Summer Sky Memento Ink and started sponging:

I sponged the top of the heart with Summer Sky and added Nautical Blue at the bottom.  I sponged first testing the intensity of the color on a piece of scrap paper.  After I determined I had enough ink on the card, I then blended with a circular motion.
I went through my stamp collection looking for a stamp that I thought would look good on my heart and ended up with this Penny Black stamp that had never seen ink before.



The sentiment is from my Stampin' Up collection and this is the final version of the card.  I may add some Star Dust Stickles to the snow on the right side but other than that, I'm calling it finished and I'd like to thank Heather for the inspiration.  And to let her know that I ordered four more Penny Black stamps like this one just for this technique.   These masks can be created for any sized card with any shape on the front, they can be used over and over and are easily cleaned.  Hope this inspires you as I was inspired.

10 comments:

  1. Cindy, this is a wonderful result and a great mask making technique too. I love the way you have used the tree; I have that stamp too but I don't often reach for it; now you have inspired me to use it peeping out of a mask.
    So glad that you it all worked so beautifully. Feel free to add your link to the OLW challenge on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your card and think it is gorgeous. TY for sharing your technique. It is simple enough that I may even be able to do it. Your card turned out awesome. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this simple card. Turned out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this card. I am a heart person and I also love how simply you did it up. Very, very nice. Thanks.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous - I can see that Heather is going to have us all sponging ALL THE TIME soon! lol! WOnderful OLW card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The stamp was the perfect touch for the heart. I love the trees. Great card!!

    Jack from Naples

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! This is beautiful! I love it! I have a Cameo, but don't know what MTC is? I use my Cameo quite frequently in my crafting, but haven't heard of MTC. You've created quite a beautiful card...the sponging is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really brilliant, Cindy! You really used your head, and you can now consider yourself added to the list of people whose sponged cards I admire!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely beautiful. Snuck over from Yahoo MTC to check out your card. I have a long way to go before getting this good. It's amazing what MTC and our creativity can do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that is not only very cool, but also beautiful, inspiring and a great share. Thanks for posting your method and the file. I'm going to try this as I've always wanted to learn to do sponging well.

    ReplyDelete