Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A welcome arrival...

You've read about my bluebirds, now I'd like to introduce them to you. This is the box they live in. It's on a fence about 10 feet from my craft room window covered in Dropmore Scarlet Honeysuckle and Clemantis. This box has seen lots of baby bluebirds since we put it up about six years ago. It's on the north side of our property so it gets early morning light when the sun comes up.

This is dad. Isn't he a handsome brute? I can see why she fell for him, he's a beauty. He's been hanging out in the trees across the street, pacing no doubt, like the expectant father he is. He shows up at the box once in a while but not very often. I know the eggs have hatched because he's been here all day with food offerings (does that look like a great big fat juicy worm?). These pictures were taken from my craft room window. The tree branch is on our crabapple tree and is about 20 feet from my craft room window.

This is mom. She's been living in the box since the last egg was laid on May 25th, just two days after my birthday. She leaves to feed and probably visit with dad, but she never stays gone long. I will be able to get better pictures in the early morning when the sun hits the branch they sit on before going to the nest box. I have a great little point and shoot camera but this branch is just about a foot too far away for my camera to shoot well without sun. Tomorrow I will go the the bird store in the big city and buy meal worms. It's fun to feed them and it helps them raise healthy babies.


And these are the first two, just newly hatched today. OK, now you all go "awwwwwwww". Actually, they're naked and bulgy. Not very attractive, but before long (16 - 21 days from now) they will be out of the nest and mom and dad will be looking to nest again, hopefully in the same box.

1 comment:

  1. OOOOOOOH My that is soooooooooo adorable! Thanks for sharing God's beautiful creations with us

    ReplyDelete