Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Trashing the planet...

I was traveling back from my dentist on Tuesday, he's in the 'big' city of Peoria about 40 minutes away. I was following a white SUV with "Stamate" on the license plate. An arm came out of the driver's side and threw a lit cigarette onto the pavement. And it made me really angry. It looked like an expensive car, too bad it didn't come with an ashtray. Back in the day when my husband and I used to smoke, we would never have considered dumping our garbage on the ground. We used half filled water bottles to dump our cigarettes in, emptied them into a garbage can, rinsed them out, and reused them. My fondest wish is to follow these people home and dump trash all over their yards. To return the favor, you know? I dream of the day we can drive down any highway anywhere and not see McDonald's bags, soda bottles, cans and plastic bags caught in the trees. I can't tell you how often I've seen trash fly from the back of a pickup truck. It's too bad we can't make citizen's arrests for littering.

Our portion of Illinois is in the dark ages when it comes to recyling. Luckily, my husband's employer has a recyling bin on their property so we can recycle plastic, glass and newspaper. It's a perk for their employees.

1 comment:

  1. When I see trash fly out of a car I lay on the horn. Long and Loud! Even if they don't get the idea, I feel I have done my best to transmit my disapproval.

    Love the little girl on the card. I want her to live in my neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete