Saturday, March 19, 2011

SSCC Pastel Challenge

My entry for the Stamping Scrapping Challenge Central 'pastel' challenge is a postcard. I have been dabbling in postcards. A 4" x 6" postcard takes 28 cents to mail and are great for a brief note, a happy hello, or just a new medium to use. There are several ways you can make these:

1. Using Copic Markers: Copics will bleed through your paper. If you plan to use Copics, you will need a backing for your postcard. If I plan to use a digital stamp, I create a 4x6 page in CorelDraw and import my stamp(s). I save the file as a CorelDraw file and export it as a .png file. I import the .png file into Microsoft word, select the file, right click, select 'text wrapping' and click on 'square'. Right click again, select size, and make sure your picture is 4" x 6". At this point you can print or you can copy your picture and paste it so you can print two at once.

After you have your file printed, you can color it. Use the attached postcard backing file. Import into Microsoft Word, follow the above instructions and print two postcard backs. When both postcards (the front and the back) are cut out and colored, use a high powered adhesive to adhere the two together back to back. Any bleed-through will be covered up by your postcard back.

2. If you plan to use pencils, just import the back of the postcard into Microsoft Word, print it out once or twice, turn it over, stamp your images and color.

3. It gets a little more complicated if you plan to use digital images and pencils. The first time I did this, I used printer paper, printed out two postcard backs, cut them out, and inserted them back into my printer. I have an Epson Artisan 50 which feeds from the back. I inserted the sheets clean side up in portrait mode. I created a file in Microsoft Word, adjusted the page layout to 4" x 6", imported my digital stamps, adjusted them for size and printed them out setting my printer at 4" x 6". This might require some experimentation but it's no different than printing a 4" x 6" photo. I never print these out in CorelDraw, they just never seem to print correctly. Word is so much easier to manipulate.

On this postcard, I printed out the back, cut it out, stamped my bunny, covered her with a mask and stamped the fence behind her. The background was sprayed using my Copic airbrush.


Paper: Beckett Radiance; Stamps: Magnolia Bunny Tilda, Spring Fence, SMP Rubber Stamps; Copics: [Skin E000, E11, E00, R20][Suit Y00, Y02, Y11, Y35, R81, R83][Hair E31][Daffodils Y11, Y35, YG25, G24][Background B12, G24][Ground E35], Spica: Lemon, Peach


I removed the 'created by' in the generic download version.

For those of you that have expressed an interest in my kitchen, here's a little teaser. The 12" x 12" floor tile is to the right. It's beige, tan and touches of blue that match the accent tiles and will be installed on the diagonal. The center glass accent tile on the left (2" x 4") is the one we will use to run a line all the way around the kitchen through the 12.5" x 12.5" sheets of watery blue 1"x 1" glass tiles. The white block of wood is our cabinet color. It's called canvas and it's white with a hint of grey in it. Work starts 4/6. The Range Hood arrived on Thursday along with the switchplates and new phone. Except for my stainless steel cannisters, hand-towels and accessories, we are done purchasing materials for the kitchen.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, what a darling Easter postcard. Thanks for the reminder to make postcards. I haven't made any in ages.

    I love your tile selections. I just know I'm going to envy your finished kitchen, even though I love my own kitchen. lol

    ReplyDelete