Thursday, December 2, 2010

From one blogger to another

Being on a design team, I have the opportunity to look at lots of blogs that I probably would not have found otherwise. While I like them all, some of them are easier to read than others. I'd like to share a few opinions from a 'not so young' blog reader. First of all, and most importantly, make your blog 'readable'. Lavender is a pretty color, but lavender type on a white background is almost impossible to read for young eyes (and, trust me, mine are no longer young). If I can't read it, I don't stay long. Secondly, really fancy type is great once in a while, but the curlicues and flourishes, while pretty, make it hard to read also. Good blogs have type big enough to be read easily, a font that's easy on the eyes, and type color that stands out from the background. If you enter challenges, please don't link just to your blog, link to your actual card. While I enjoy looking at the blogs, some days I have time restraints and can't go searching for your card in a long line of cards. If you aren't entering challenges, this doesn't matter so much, people are probably just browsing your blog anyway. Can you imagine if the design team has to browse through three or four cards on each entry? We wouldn't have time to cook or clean (not that I like to do those things anyway). OK, as I step off my soapbox, I present for your approval: Mirror, Mirror.

I recently discovered Lili of the Valley stamps and have added a few to my collection. This stamp very much reminds me of my daughter and the 'trunk' full of dress up clothes she had until she got to be about 10 (and all grown up). I am going to save this for her birthday in May (isn't it great to have things done so far ahead?) I was worried this color combination wasn't going to work but I think it does, what do you think? Her necklace was done with Tulip Metallic White Paint, but Liquid Pearls would work as well. I added a dot of Spica on each of the dots on her dress, it's subtle but does add a nice sparkle.


Paper: DCWV The Luxury Stack; Stamp: Lili of the Valley Mirror Mirror; Spellbinder Classic Squares Large, Lacey Squares; Spica Crystal, Tulip Metallics White; Daris Premium Beads, Wild Orchid 1/2" Silk Ribbon & Pin; Make It Crafty Charm; Copics: [Mirror E55, E57, E59, B0000][Skin E00, E000, R20][Hair Y21, Y23, Y26, Y00][Clothes R01, R02, R00, R000, R0000, 0][Outline N0]

6 comments:

  1. Hi, love your card, your image is gorgeous and I love your layout and the pin looks lush, you've got me thinking now can you read my blog ok?
    I'd love for you to tell me, hugs Liz xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is darling and your daughter will be really pleased when she gets this card.

    Another peeve of mine on blogs is...they are so busy and take forever to load. I have one I go to once in a while and it takes forever to load with all the advertising etc. up top and I get fed up and leave. Remember....clean and simple is so much better!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is precious, Cindy! And I have to say "ditto" on the soapbox words of wisdom. Great job on both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute card and I also so very much agree with your blog comments! Thanks!
    Hugs, Wini

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy your card is just too cute. I love the color combination a lot. Your card reminds me when I use to play dress up. Hugs, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  6. having just had to look through 50 odd blogs for a position on out DT - I totally relate - my pet hate is white writing on black - you just can't see it

    darling little girlie

    ReplyDelete