Thursday, February 4, 2010

Some customer service sucks...

While I'm in my feisty mood, I have a question for you. Have you ever had such a bad experience at an establishment that you not only never went back, but took every opportunity to talk about your decision? I did. Twenty-four years ago, before my daughter's 16th birthday I splurged - big time. I was a single parent raising a daughter, paying house payments, utilities, band costumes, food - well, you get the idea. We didn't have "spare" money. So, I took money we didn't have and with a newspaper ad in hand, went to the unnamed store to purchase a stereo system I couldn't afford. As most of us know now, but I didn't know then, stores like the old "bait and switch", they advertise something they don't have (oh, they have reasons - we weren't shipped enough, the ad made a mistake), but all the while they intend to get you to spend more money than you intended. Which, stupid me, I did. So I bought a 3 piece stereo (turntable, cassette player, two speakers) for her birthday. The day of her birthday, we assembled the stereo, plugged it in, and just got a crackling sound from the speakers. We packed it back up and I took it back to the unnamed store the next day. They wouldn't take it back. They required me to take it to a repair store in another city. Now, I have money I couldn't afford invested in a product that doesn't work purchased for a very special birthday. It was in the repair shop two weeks. And when we got it home, it still did not work. We threw it away. For twenty-four years I've been telling friends - and I quote "I wouldn't shop at that store if it was the last store on earth and giving away sh** free." Of course, my friends will know exactly what store that was. They are noted for their tools but I won't spend a penny there and I won't give money to my husband so he can purchase something there. To compound the error, for twenty-four years they have been sending me credit applications. On every one, I write, "I wouldn't shop at your store if you were the last store on earth and giving away sh** free." Once, I even received a reply. The letter said you haven't completely filled out the credit application, so we are returning it so you can do so. Am I the only one that thinks that once in twenty-four years, someone would have asked "Why are you so angry with us?"

5 comments:

  1. I think you did a GREAT job and I adore the sentiment!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I love your story....it leads right up to the card perfectly. I'm still laughing...at the story of course...not the situation...just the way you tell it. Thanks so much for making my day brighter by sharing this...LOVE the card by the way and colouring is great! Cheers, Lora Sinkler-Lake

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all of your comments (I got a bunch at CopicCrafters and CopicCrazy). Practice, practice, practice. Hopefully, the next card will incorporate your suggestions. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks great. I know couple of ladies that look like her.

    Happy Stamping

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love your card. It's adorable. And, what a horrendous shopping experience. So sorry about that. What doesn't kill us makes is stronger, right?

    ReplyDelete