Sunday, March 14, 2010

Chicago Flower Show...

I finally had some time to go over the pictures from the flower show this year. A new stand-out in the vendor area was a small company from Minnesota called Francis Metal Works, LLC. They have created the most whimsical garden art using native stones. Their animals have charisma and character and I was very happy to come home with one. I can see many more of their creations in our garden's future.

The subject of this year's flower show was "great performances". Some of the tabletops were like advertisements for movies or plays.


Can you tell what movie/play this arrangement suggests?

There were a dozen unique window boxes. The only problem I have with some of the arrangements was there is no way all of the plants will be blooming at the same time or have the same growing requirements. They mix spring, summer and fall plants and desert and bog plants. While this can make a really unusual arrangement, most gardeners could never duplicate it with success. Still, I always find something to take away from their efforts.




I always check out the color combinations:






And then there was lunch at Harry Carey's which opened in Navy Pier just a few days before we visited the flower show. I recommend the pulled pork sandwich. Finger lickin' good. Ruthann and I had a great day. We listened to Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show as well as Jersey Boys on the way back. My husband slept like the dead that night. Luckily there is a whole eleven months before the next one - he'll forget by then, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment