Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Healthy Eating....

When Carl and I got back from Wisconsin where we were bloated every day for six days in a row, I decided we needed to change our eating habits.  So, I pulled out my Better Homes and Gardens Dieter's Cookbook and started looking for recipes I thought we would like.  I found a bunch - Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa, Peppercorn Steaks, Ginger Beef Stir Fry, Red Snapper Veracruz, Thai Shrimp and Snow Peas.  I know a lot more about eating healthy and my checkbook proves it.  Eating frozen and boxed meals along with fresh meat twice or three times a week and the usual groceries - cereal, milk, cleaning products, etc. usually cost me about $100 a week for the two of us.  Eating healthy has been costing between $150-$170/week.  Example:  an organic mango (the only kind our store carries) cost me $2.00 for one - and it wasn't even ripe.  Unsweetened coconut milk in a can is expensive if you only need 4 ounces and the can is 15 ounces.  How often do you use unsweetened coconut milk?  Herbs come in pretty hefty packages but I only need a teaspoon.  I have a whole drawer of vegetables:  green onions - I only needed 3; cucumber - I only needed a half.  So, I need to plan other meals using the ingredients I didn't use up.  For those of you that eat healthy meals - how do you contend with the huge packages of meat (there are only two of us)?  I needed four whole wheat tortillas and had to buy twelve.  I think I understand Steve Martin in Father of the Bride when he got thrown in jail for taking two hot dog buns out of the package because the package had twelve buns but the hot dog package only had ten hot dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment